Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Watered Garden...

Yipee! Spring is finally in full swing!



This morning started off quite cold as women from my church met for a garden tour and an amazing lunch. About 30 of us rode together on a school bus and stopped at 3 different private home gardens. It was wonderful. Such fun! And it didn't RAIN... we were so happy! A perfect day. At one of the stops I had a cup of coffee in one hand and homemade banana bread in the other as I was strolling through the gorgeous grounds. I couldn't have asked for more. It was an inspiring day, to say the least, which of course, is why I just had to stop at Schedeen's Garden Nursery in Gresham for some planting compost and a few more plants! (to which I endured some teasing from Darcy..."MORE plants?") Tonight I was outside gardening until dark and again rain soaked me from head to toe...just like last night. Rain and more rain. I must admit though, with all the extra rain my yard looks lush and beautiful. Other than a few too many slugs...most plants seem to be growing exceptionally well. So glad that I took the time to fertilize a month ago. What a difference fertilizer makes!



Funny true story...when Darcy and I were first married we rented a small ranch house (not to be confused with ranch-style) in Oregon City that was on 60+ acres with grazing cattle and no fences around our little house. Often we would find a surprise "cow pile" in an unexpected place...like behind our car (not fun when you're in a hurry to get somewhere) or right on our front porch! (I know...ew!) But for the most part the cows were interesting to watch and often we would find them gazing at us through our living room window! My first lesson in fertilizer came when one of the cows landed a big "pile" on one half of the flower bed. Months later I planted marigolds. The one half of the marigolds grew 10 times bigger with way more blooms than the other unfertilized half of the flower bed! I have never forgotten that important lesson. I have found that it always pays off in the end to take the time to weed and to feed...and of course to use lots of water while growing my garden!



It is water I've been thinking about today. With all of the rain we've been having I've been thinking about Joel 2:23 and about God pouring out His Spirit...the former and the latter rains which speaks of spiritual renewal....the greater coming in the latter rains...or later years. Also of John 7:38 when Jesus says, "He who believes in me as the scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water." Because of our relationship with Jesus we experience His life and hope springing up from the deepest part of our soul causing peace and beauty instead of fear and despair. My favotire today:



The Lord will guide you continually.
He will satisfy your soul in drought,
And strengthen your bones;
You shall be like a watered garden.
A spring of water whose waters do not fail.
Isaiah 58:11


I was deeply touched today by one of the women who opened up her home for a garden tour. Not only did she have a beautiful garden but she was also the lunch hostess. Everything was perfect. Her love of serving and loving others and the Lord was undeniable. She smiled and was so gracious. Hugging every person who came into her home. She, along with lots of helpers, served us a delicious meal. The tables were set so pretty. Shortly after arriving I heard her husband was very sick. This was my first time meeting her. I didn't know of her husband's illness or the seriousness of it. It wasn't until I was on the bus and leaving when someone asked that we keep them in prayer as Hospice had just left that morning and said he had only a week to live and that He was preparing to meet Jesus. Such seriousness business happening while laughter filled their home. We ate together, worshiped in song, shared stories and fellowshiped. This gracious woman and her husband are remarkable people I will not soon forget. Their lives... like watered gardens. Holy Spirit filled lives.



Thank you Lord for Your love and tender mercy today. Thank you for being near. Your word says that you are especially near the broken hearted. Thank you that You number our days and that our life and breath and all our ways are in the palm of Your hand. May Your beauty be seen in us, may Your will be done in our lives as it is in heaven while we walk this earth...every moment of it. Amen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved the fertilizer lesson! Was moved by the story of your hostess and exhorted by the Lord when you shared about her gracious service to her guests. I find myself focusing on what is hard in life and missing opportunities to bless others because if it sometimes. Thanks again Karen. You are truly a blessing in the gifts God has given you.

Aubrey said...

I smile remembering your fertilizer story too! :) As I've been tending my flower gardens this year and the garden of my family, your words of wisdom bless me Karen. You've been such a blessing in my life.

Unknown said...

I too loved the fertilizer story! I couldn't help but wonder, did you thank the cow? Lol! God works in wonderful ways and often uses the unexpected.

Thank you for inviting me to read your blogs. You are such a blessing.
Cheryl